Minutes of a City Council Meeting
Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 2:30 PM
1750 Maharishi Center Avenue
Present: Mayor Rogers Badgett, Councilmembers Chris Johnson, Steve Boss, Kara Anastasio, Leslee Goldstein, Stellavera Kilcher (all by Zoom due to the pandemic)
Present in Addition: Dr. Kent Boyum, Kathy Petersen
Mayor Badgett called the meeting to order.
- Public Comments—Jesse Pilcher of Pilcher Construction asked about an invoice submitted to the City. The council discussed with Mr. Pilcher work expectations not being met in replacing windows of the cupola in City Hall.
- Minutes—Anastasio moved, Boss seconded, to approve minutes from a meeting held August 11, 2021; Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Kilcher; Nays: none.
- Receipts and Claims—Goldstein moved, Anastasio seconded, to approve the report as amended; Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Kilcher; Nays: none.
- Treasurer’s Report—Postponed.
- Finance Committee Report—Kara Anastasio reported on discussing the impact of the census on income, and on fund reports being compiled for future planning.
- City Development Committee Report—Kent Boyum reported discussing the merging the solar development plan with TIF and other funding. Committee members spoke with the owner of the MIU solar array and with Ideal Energy. Chris Johnson said the next step is talking with Access Energy. Steve Boss reported on developing an ordinance to define standards for private sewer systems connected to the City system, and on the ordinance related to connection fees.
- Consider Amending Urban Renewal Area—The council discussed amending the Urban Renewal Area to include the two campuses and initiating the process by December 1. After discussion Anastasio moved, Johnson seconded, to dissolve the current Urban Renewal Area and engage Dorsey-Whitney LLP at a cost of approximately $4-$5,000 to start the process of designating a new Urban Renewal Area that includes all the prior area, plus two additional parcels of land that were not in the original area; and to authorize Dorsey-Whitney to make a recommendation regarding “blight” and whether the entire City or only portions should be included in the Urban Renewal initiative, and whether economic development should be combined with blight as the designated reasons for the initiative; Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Kilcher; Nays: none.
- Solar Report—Discussed in Point 6.
- American Rescue Plan Report—Dr. Boyum reported receipt of first ARP payment of $96,492.82.
- Sewer Report—Postponed.
- Mitchell Creek Bridge Project Report—Dr. Boyum reported on talks with the county about the bridge project that is postponed until other federal grant projects are completed by the county.
- Public Safety and Public Works Committee Report—Leslee Goldstein report on progress in creating a building permit ordinance.
- Update on Communication with FAA—Dr. Boyum reported that the Federal Aviation Association is creating a report based on that recent crop duster events reported to them.
- CARES Act Computer Equipment—Dr. Boyum reported on computer equipment granted through the CARES Act.
- Consider Resolution for City Clerk Position—Postponed.
- City Hall Maintenance—Kathy Petersen reported on quotes to complete the inside work on the cupola windows and walls, and to create a pass-through in two City Hall rooms.
- Meeting Room—Goldstein moved, Anastasio seconded, to honor Mike and Ann Beth Tinker by giving them naming privileges for a newly renovated meeting room in City Hall; Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Kilcher; Nays: none.
- Committee Assignments: Abandoned and Neglected Property Ordinance, Subdivision Approvals—Postponed.
- Other Business—None presented.
Mayor Badgett adjourned the meeting.
Rogers Badgett, Mayor
Kathy Petersen, City Clerk