Minutes of a City Council Meeting
Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 2:30 PM
1750 Maharishi Center Avenue
Present: Mayor Rogers Badgett, Councilmembers Chris Johnson, Steve Boss, Kara Anastasio, Leslee Goldstein, Stellavera Kilcher (all by Zoom due to the pandemic)
Present in Addition: Dr. Kent Boyum, Kathy Petersen
Mayor Badgett called the meeting to order.
- Public Comments—None received.
- Minutes—Anastasio moved, Goldstein seconded, to approve minutes from a meeting held July 28, 2021; Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Kilcher; Nays: none.
- Receipts and Claims—Anastasio moved, Goldstein seconded, to approve the report as amended; Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Kilcher; Nays: none. A claim for replacing cupola windows at City Hall will be considered at the next meeting, after City Attorney review.
- Treasurer’s Report—Anastasio moved, Kilcher seconded, to approve the report for June 2021; Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Kilcher; Nays: none.
- Debt Report to Iowa Treasurer—The council reviewed the Outstanding Obligation Report for FY21.
- City Attorney Report on Assessments—Postponed.
- City Development Committee Report—Chris Johnson reported on discussions with developers of Prairie Village on TIF and solar projects and transferring the Pandit Campus sewer infrastructure to the City. The council discussed land for a solar project. Steve Boss reported on discussions with bond attorney John Danos on forming a new Urban Renewal area and TIF district. If paperwork is complete by December 1, the estimated the 10-year TIF revenue from the Prairie Villages project would be $500,000. Dr. Boyum reported that American Rescue Plan funds may be used to start a solar installation which will also generate revenue from sale of electricity. The council discussed sustainable utility system benefits.
- Public Safety and Public Works Committee Report—Leslee Goldstein reported on a draft building permit ordinance to be reviewed by Chris Johnson and the City Attorney. A pamphlet to share with the Fairfield Airport, other regional airports, and chemical companies is being considered to prevent crop duster planes from flying over the City. Dr. Boyum reported on photo documentation of recent crop duster events for reports to the Federal Aviation Administration.
- Committee Assignments—Kilcher moved, Anastasio seconded, to appoint Anil Maheshwari and Mike Olmstead to the Culture, Recreation and Beautification Committee; Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Kilcher; Nays: none.
- Consider Building Permit Ordinance—Discussed in Point 8.
- Solar Report— Discussed in Point 7.
- American Rescue Plan Report—Dr. Boyum reported the first payment has not been received.
- City Hall Maintenance—Postponed.
- City Clerk Position—Kathy Petersen reported on an application for the City Clerk position.
- City Election—Kathy Petersen reported that candidate filing begins August 23. A notice of the City election and filing procedures will be sent to City residents.
- City Attorney Time Apportionment—After discussion Boss moved, Anastasio seconded, to apportion ½ hour of the monthly pro bono City Attorney hours to each of the four active committees, to use or share as they see fit, and that other engagement be according to the procedure’s manual; Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Anastasio, Goldstein, Kilcher; Nays: none.
- SE Iowa Sierra Foundation Fundraising—The council discussed supporting the SE Iowa Sierra Foundation.
- Other Business—The council discussed sharing information about each committee with City residents.
Ayes: Johnson, Boss, Goldstein, Kilcher; Nays: none.
Mayor Badgett adjourned the meeting.
Rogers Badgett, Mayor
Kathy Petersen, City Clerk