Minutes of a Special City Council Meeting
Thursday, August 15, 2019, 2:00 PM
Present: Mayor ProTem Rogers Badgett, Chris Johnson, Maureen Wynne, Steve Boss, Tim Fitz-Randolph
Absent: Mayor Robert Wynne
Also present: Dr. Kent Boyum, Kathy Petersen, Representatives of northwest campus including Dr. John Hagelin and Peggy Palms
- Mayor ProTem called the meeting to order.
- Planning Session for Northwest Campus Redevelopment—Discussion took place regarding development of the northwest campus. Drafting a Request for Proposal for developers, developing a comprehensive plan, identifying anticipated amenities and themes, street construction requirements and financing were discussed.
- Minutes—Johnson moved, Badgett seconded to approve minutes from meetings held July 24, 2019 and July 31, 2019, all ayes.
- Claims and Summary of Receipts—Johnson moved, Badgett seconded to approve the report, all ayes.
- Annual Street Finance Report—Wynne moved, Johnson seconded to adopt a resolution approving the Annual Street Finance Report, all ayes. Resolution number 20190815 was assigned.
- Shared City Hall/Community Center Parking Lot Cost—The City Clerk reported the costs for re-surfacing the parking lot shared with homeowners south of City Hall. She will contact affected homeowners regarding amending existing agreements to include the cost for recent re-surfacing.
- Welcome Sign—The Council reviewed design ideas that were presented. The Council requested the City Clerk to follow up with additional designs.
- Maharishi Center Avenue Trash & Recycling Location—Wynne moved, Johnson seconded to place the trash and recycling station for Maharishi Center Ave. at its previous location at the west end of the parking lot and to install a solar light, all ayes.
- Peace Flame Installation Cost—The Council reviewed a resident’s request that the City install and maintain at City Hall a Peace Flame from the World Peace Flame Foundation. The cost including travel to receive the flame was projected at $10,000. Boss moved, Fitz-Randolph seconded to respectfully decline the offer of the installation as there are higher priorities for investment in special features for the City at this time, all ayes.
- Other Business—Chris Johnson reported on a meeting with First National Bank regarding the Housing Development Bond.
Mayor ProTem Badgett adjourned the meeting.
Robert G. Wynne, Mayor
Kathy Petersen, City Clerk