Minutes of a City Council Meeting
Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 2:00 PM
Present: Mayor ProTem Rogers Badgett, Maureen Wynne, Steve Boss, Tim Fitz-Randolph
Absent: Mayor Robert Wynne, Chris Johnson
Also present: Nancy Watkins, Dr. Kent Boyum, Kathy Petersen
Mayor ProTem Badgett called the meeting to order.
- Minutes—Badgett moved, Fitz-Randolph seconded to approve minutes from a meeting held June 26, 2019, all ayes.
- Claims—Fitz-Randolph moved, Wynne seconded to approve the report, all ayes.
- Treasurer’s Report—Postponed.
- Housing Development Loan—Badgett moved, Fitz-Randolph seconded, to repay the Housing Development Loan from the General Fund, and for the City Clerk to propose a budget amendment and take such steps as advised by Dorsey Whitney to accomplish the repayment, all ayes.
- Urban Renewal Area & Project—Maureen Wynne reported that Dorsey Whitney recommends amending the existing Urban Renewal area and TIF district and creating a new Urban Renewal area for the northwest campus.
- Northwest Campus Roads—Discussion about creating northwest campus roads with TIF revenue.
- Roads Report—Dr. Boyum reported that LL Pelling completed chip and seal on Observatory Drive, Maharishi Center Avenue, City Hall circular drive and parking lot. Discussion about restricting large truck speed on the roads and moving trash and recycling receptacles from the parking lot to access from Maharishi Center Ave. Dr. Boyum will talk with the Jefferson County engineer about potholes west of John Estle Street on 170th St. and surfacing John Estle Street west of Invincible America Ave.
- Sewer Operations - Ion Environmental Solutions—Dr. Boyum reported that Ion Environmental Solutions requests road access to all lift stations. Wynne moved, Fitz-Randolph seconded to install gravel road access to three lift stations pending approval of the cost, all ayes except Badgett abstained, motion carried.
- Wastewater System Transition—Dr. Boyum reported that the transition appears to be professional and without problems. The maintenance agreement is being reviewed by Ion Environmental Solutions and is expected be to be signed within a week.
- Electric Utility and Review of Design and Use Ordinance—Dr. Boyum reported that Access Energy has announced plans to install smart meters. The deadline to opt out is Aug. 15. The City Attorney will review the City’s Design and Use ordinance.
- Community Center HVAC—Kathy Petersen reported that the 11-year-old HVAC unit for the first floor of the Community Center needs to be replaced or to have the compressors replaced. After discussion Wynne moved, Fitz-Randolph seconded to replace the unit, all ayes.
- Other Business—None presented.
Mayor ProTem Badgett adjourned the meeting.
Robert G. Wynne, Mayor
Kathy Petersen, City Clerk