Minutes of a City Council Meeting
Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 2:00 PM
Present: Mayor Robert G. Wynne, Rogers Badgett, Maureen Wynne, Tim Fitz-Randolph; Steve Boss and Chris Johnson (by telephone)
Also present: Nancy Watkins, Dr. Kent Boyum, Kathy Petersen
Mayor Wynne called the meeting to order.
- Minutes—Fitz-Randolph moved, Wynne seconded to approve minutes from a meeting held May 22, 2019, all ayes.
- Claims— Fitz-Randolph moved, Wynne seconded to approve the report, all ayes.
- Tree Removal—Wynne moved, Fitz-Randolph seconded to have dead Ash trees along Maharishi Center Ave., removed by EQR, all ayes. Badgett moved, Fitz-Randolph seconded to have a weakened Silver Maple south of the City Hall parking lot removed by EQR, all ayes.
- Move Raam Notes—Fitz-Randolph moved, Badgett seconded to move unstamped Raam notes to a fire-resistant file box in City Hall and to ask for a refund on the safe deposit box, all ayes.
- Roads for New Development—Tim Fitz-Randolph reported on renovations being done to buildings at the northwest campus. Discussion took place regarding the City taking over private roads in the development and using TIF financing for new roads and road improvements. Badgett moved that the City support a study to determine the cost of maintaining and widening to 20 feet the roads that run along the outside of the housing development area; that the City inspect the conditions of all roads in the development before taking steps to ownership; and that the City consult with attorneys to determine correct TIF sequence; Wynne seconded. Roll call—ayes: Badgett, Johnson, Wynne, Boss; Abstain: Fitz-Randolph; Nays: none; motion carried.
- Iowa Great Places Finalist Visit—Dr. Boyum reported on the visit to the City by the Iowa Great Places board. He thanked those who presented and said the board will decide in about two weeks if the City will be granted “Great Places” designation.
- Property Tax Abatement—Dr. Boyum reported the City was given a tax abatement by Jefferson County Supervisors on property granted to the City.
- Utilities—Dr. Boyum reported that Ion Environmental Solutions, who will take over maintenance of the wastewater system, will meet with Processing Management staff on Monday. He reported on modifications to the proposed operating contract with the firm being proposed by Warner Engineering and the City Attorney. ICAP will be consulted regarding the indemnification clauses of the contract. Dr. Boyum reported on success in collecting electric consumer data related to the City solar project.
- City Hall Smoke Alarm System—Kathy Petersen reported on receipt of a quote for $40,500 for an integrated smoke alarm system.
- Other Business—None presented.
Mayor Wynne adjourned the meeting.
Robert G. Wynne, Mayor
Kathy Petersen, City Clerk