Minutes of a City Council Meeting
Wednesday, May 22, 2019, 3:00 PM
Present: Mayor Robert Wynne, Rogers Badgett, Chris Johnson, Maureen Wynne, Steve Boss, Tim Fitz-Randolph
Also present: Nancy Watkins, Dr. Kent Boyum, Kathy Petersen
Mayor Wynne called the meeting to order.
- Minutes—Fitz-Randolph moved, Boss seconded to approve minutes from meetings held April 24, 2019, May 2, 2019 and May 10, 2019; all ayes.
- Claims—Fitz-Randolph moved, Badgett seconded to approve the report, all ayes.
- Treasurer’s Report—Wynne moved, Fitz-Randolph seconded to approve the report, all ayes.
- Report on Smart Conference and Meetings—Mayor Wynne, Maureen Wynne, Kent Boyum and Kathy Petersen reported on meetings related to City housing and growth with USDA Rural Development, HUD and Dorsey Whitney in Des Moines. Kent and Kathy reported on the Smart Conference which focused on current and future economic development initiatives and resources in Iowa.
- Report on SE Iowa Housing Conference—Maureen Wynne, Tim Fitz-Randolph and Kent Boyum reported on housing related topics covered at the conference, including finance opportunities available through Iowa Finance Authority and Iowa Economic Development Authority to provide housing for low to moderate income populations.
- TIF/Urban Renewal—Mayor Wynne explained the timeline for filing for and receiving TIF money from Urban Renewal projects.
- Roads—Wynne moved, Badgett seconded to replace damaged Mandala Two entrance sign, all ayes. Discussion took place regarding a City easement for road improvements at the northwest campus. Fitz-Randolph moved, Badgett seconded to approve LL Pelling proposals for street maintenance for Maharishi Center Avenue, Observatory Drive and the City Hall parking lot-with clarification on the area covered, all ayes. Discussion took place about removing dead Ash trees from Maharishi Center Avenue.
- Utilities Reports—Mayor Wynne reported on a meeting with Ion Environmental Technologies for management of the sewer system. The proposed contract will be reviewed by the City attorney, engineer and Processing Management. Wynne moved, Fitz-Randolph seconded to write a resolution honoring Processing Management for years of service, all ayes. Dr. Boyum reported that electric usage in the City must be determined for design to begin on a solar panel project for the City. He will request information releases from all electric customers.
- City Hall—Kathy Petersen reported on roof repairs needed and bids received for a fire alarm system. Maureen Wynne recommended installing doors to the Council chambers. Kathy Petersen presented a proposed Community Center Use and Rate policy. After discussion Johnson moved, Boss seconded to adopt the policy; Ayes: Johnson, Wynne, Boss, Fitz-Randolph; Nays: none; Abstain: Badgett; motion carried.
- Consider Increasing City Council Size to 7 Members—Mayor Wynne described procedures to make a change in council size. Thorough discussion took place about the procedures, including creating an ordinance and holding a special election. No action was taken.
- Summer Celebration—Date of June 23 and venue of Northwest campus with rain back-up location of the Community Center was discussed.
- Walnut Lakes Subdivision Approval—Wynne moved, Fitz-Randolph seconded to approve four subdivisions in Walnut Lakes, all ayes.
- Request to Remove Trees on City Land—Discussion took place regarding a request from 1752A Maharishi Center Ave. HOA to remove two Silver Maples on City property that abuts the address.
- Raam Note Storage—Discussion about moving Raam notes to fireproof file cabinets in City Hall.
- Other Business—Dr. Boyum reported that the City is a finalist for Iowa Great Places designation. A team will tour the City on June 11.
Mayor Wynne adjourned the meeting.
Robert G. Wynne, Mayor
Kathy Petersen, City Clerk