Minutes of a City Council Meeting
Thursday, October 25, 2018, 3:00 PM
Present: Mayor Robert Wynne, Rogers Badgett, Maureen Wynne, Tim Fitz-Randolph; Steve Boss and Chris Johnson by telephone as they were out of town making it impossible to attend in person.
Also present: Dr. Kent Boyum, Kathy Petersen
Mayor Wynne called the meeting to order.
- Minutes—Fitz-Randolph moved, Badgett seconded to approve minutes from meetings held October 11, 2018 and October 17, 2018, all ayes.
- Claims—Fitz-Randolph moved, Badgett seconded to approve the report, all ayes.
- Consider Adopting Consent Agenda—Discussion took place regarding pros and cons.
- City Hall Insulation—Tim Fitz-Randolph recommended insulating the elevator shaft and atrium in the attic with foam, adding additional blow-in cellulose insulation to the attic floor, and adding a plexiglass cover to the 2nd floor atrium. Dr. Boyum will research energy credits, rebates and subsidies and grants.
- Bridge Replacement 28E Agreement Report—Dr. Boyum reported the Jefferson County Engineer has completed the 28E agreement and it is being reviewed by the county attorney.
- Report, Fire Hydrants Engineering Report—Warner Engineering has surveyed most of the areas and will make a proposal.
- Iowa Trails Summit Report—Dr. Boyum reported that trail experts from around the state and representatives of trail grantors attended. The priority for funding generally is to connect to existing trails and the nearest trail to consider connecting to Maharishi Vedic City is Jefferson County Trail System.
- Wastewater System Report—Dr. Boyum reported on the status of the plants including matters to be reviewed by engineer Jim Warner.
- 911 Signs—After discussion Wynne moved to make second 911 address signs available to those who request them for $16 each, Fitz-Randolph seconded, all ayes.
- Local Food, Local Places Grant—Dr. Boyum and Tim Fitz-Randolph reported on the EPA grant that supports food hubs, farmer’s markets, and access to local food. Dr. Boyum will review further.
- Welcoming New Businesses—Fitz-Randolph recommended establishing procedures to welcome newly established businesses.
- Other Business—Kathy Petersen reported that the City has been selected for a periodic examination by the State Auditor’s Office.
Mayor Wynne adjourned the meeting.
Robert G. Wynne, Mayor
Kathy Petersen, City Clerk