Minutes of a City Council Meeting
Friday, December 16, 2016, 3:00 PM
Present: Mayor Robert Wynne, Rogers Badgett, Chris Johnson, Maureen Wynne, Steve Boss
Absent: Bill Goldstein
Also present: Nancy Watkins, Dr. Kent Boyum, Kathy Petersen
Mayor Wynne called the meeting to order.
- Minutes—Johnson moved to approve minutes from a meeting held November 18, 2016, Badgett seconded, all ayes.
- Claims—Johnson moved to approve the report, Badgett seconded, all ayes.
- Treasurer’s Report—Report for November 2016 was presented.
- Resolution Authoring and Providing for the Incurrence of Indebtedness for the Purpose of Providing a Portion of the Cost of Acquiring, Constructing, Enlarging, Improving, and/or Extending Maharishi Vedic City’s City Hall/SCommunity Center to Serve an Area Lawfully Within Its Jurisdiction to Serve—After due consideration Johnson moved to adopt the resolution; Badgett seconded; Roll call-Ayes: Badgett, Johnson, Wynne, Boss; Nays: None. Motion carried, Resolution number 20161216A was assigned.
- Resolution Authorizing and Approving a Loan Agreement, Providing for the Issuance of a $356,100 Taxable General Obligation Building Acquisition Bond, Series 2016 and Providing for the Levy of Taxes to Pay the Same—After due consideration Johnson moved to adopt the resolution; Badgett seconded; Roll call-Ayes: Badgett, Johnson, Wynne, Boss; Nays: None. Motion carried, Resolution number 20161216B was assigned.
- Additional Action for Peace Palace Purchase—Maureen Wynne moved to authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute any documents required for closing on the City Hall/Community Center building, Badgett seconded, all ayes.
- Consider Amendment to Sewer Rate Ordinance—Chris Johnson requested more detailed expense reports be compiled for each section of the sewer plant before further consideration.
- Resolution Adopting Code of Ordinances—Maureen Wynne moved to adopt a resolution adopting the Code of Ordinances to include changes made in 2016, Johnson seconded, all ayes. Resolution number 20161216C was assigned.
- Certify Population of Annexed Territory—Maureen Wynne moved to certify the population of territory annexed on Nov. 18, 2016, in Resolution number 20161118, as 0; the population of territory annexed on Feb. 15, 2013, in Resolution number 20130215 as 3; and the population of territory annexed Aug. 17, 2012, in Resolution number 20120817 as 0; Johnson seconded; all ayes.
- Trees for Kids Seedlings—Dr. Boyum reported seedling trees have been ordered for 2017.
- Master Plan—Discussion took place about expanding housing in the City.
- Poaching—Chris Johnson reported on antler gathering and possible poaching on private property in the City. Discussion took place about requiring permission to gather antlers from property owners, and about strengthening the no-hunting ordinance.
- Energy Efficiency Incentives—Discussion took place about the process that allows users to invest, through utility companies, in energy efficient and renewable projects. Dr. Boyum reported that Alliant Energy is working on this with the Iowa Association of Energy Efficiency and the Iowa Utilities Board. Dr. Boyum will talk with Access Energy about starting a similar project. Maureen Wynne moved that a letter of support from the City be sent to Alliant Energy, Badgett seconded, all ayes.
- Other Business—None.
Mayor Wynne adjourned the meeting.
Robert G. Wynne, Mayor
Kathy Petersen, City Clerk