Minutes of a City Council Meeting
Friday, November 18, 2016, 3:00 PM
Present: Mayor Robert G. Wynne, Rogers Badgett, Chris Johnson, Maureen Wynne, Steve Boss
Absent: Bill Goldstein
Also Present: Nancy Watkins, Dr. Kent Boyum, Kathy Petersen
Public Hearing: Voluntary Annexation—Mayor Wynne opened the public hearing for an application for voluntary annexation of a parcel adjacent to the City on the west side. He explained that the annexation is required to correct the legal description of the parcel in the March 18, 2016 annexation. No comments were made and no oral or written comments were received by the City Clerk’s office. Mayor Wynne closed the public hearing and opened the council meeting.
- Consider Voluntary Annexation Resolution—Wynne moved to adopt a resolution approving the voluntary annexation; Johnson seconded; all ayes. Resolution number 20161118 was assigned.
- Minutes—Johnson moved to approve minutes of a meeting held November 4, 2016; Badgett seconded; all ayes.
- Claims—Wynne moved to approve the report; Badgett seconded; all ayes.
- Treasurer’s Report—Report for October 2016 was presented.
- Utility Billing Reconciliation—Report for October 2016 was presented.
- Bank Reconciliations—Reports for October 2016 were presented.
- Consider Devi Nagar Subdivision Request—A request for further subdivision in Devi Nagar, a subdivision within a 2-mile radius of the City was considered. After discussion Badgett moved to approve a subdivision request, as indicated on the plat map as Lot 52-B; Johnson seconded; all ayes.
- Iowa Organics Conference—Dr. Boyum reported that he presented at the conference as an organics mentor to new and transitioning farmers.
- Other Business—Dr. Boyum reported in more detail on the Iowa Energy Summit. He reported that energy efficient practices are the most effective way to save money and energy, followed by sustainable energy sources; and on a trend to make energy efficient improvements available to more people through billing agreements with utility companies. He will talk with Access Energy and Alliant Energy about implementing this program. Maharishi Vedic City is the only city with a representative on the board of Iowa Association for Energy Efficiency. Maureen Wynne reported on progress in closing the Peace Palace. Steve Boss encouraged to the City to develop an economic development plan in partner with MUM’s Sustainable Agriculture program. The next meeting will be December 16, the only meeting to be held in December.
Mayor Wynne adjourned the meeting.
Robert G. Wynne, Mayor
Kathy Petersen, City Clerk